Data hoarding sounds like a bravo TV show, but in reality it's far more common than any of us would like to admit. Data is growing exponentially, in fact IDC predicts the Global Datasphere will grow from 33 Zettabytes (ZB) in 2018 to 175 ZB by 2025. If you think of the documents that you encounter on a typical day, it's easy to see how documents can get out of control. Whether it be invoices, applications, contracts, memos, or whatever you might come across, it's also increasingly difficult to know how long you should keep it, even if at all.
Let this snowball over several years, and you have a desktop and network filled with files that are not only bogging you down and hard to locate, but also posing a security and compliance risk because you might not be properly securing, retaining, and deleting sensitive files.
There are some sings that you're a data hoarder, including:
- You save everything in case you "might" need it.
- You're unsure about what to keep or toss.
- Your documents are scattered across multiple folders and locations.
- You avoid cleaning up your documents because it takes too much time.
If you relate to any of the signs above, don't worry. We've been there! Implementing a System of Record (SoR) and managing your documents intelligently with PaperVision software can take away the stress and the burden of manually managing your busines information.
Take the quiz below to see if you're hoarding data at work, and explore the resources below to learn more about how PaperVision can get your data hoarding under control, across the enterprise.
Are You A Data Hoarder?
Take this quiz to see if you're a...
You know what you're doing.
Well... You try.
Call us immediately.
How do you fare compared to the following averages?
A typical office worker...
Has 199 unread email in their inbox and spends 4 hours daily processing email.1
Has 130 online accounts associated to their email address.1
Checks their phone 85 times daily, spending at least 5 hours on their device.1
Spends 2 hours daily on social media.2
Saves 582 cellphone images.3
Navigates 21 desktop icons.3
Has bookmarked 83 websites.3
Keeps 645GB of storage.3
The typical mid-level manager only gets 30 minutes of uninterrupted time every other day, totaling 1 to 1 ½ hours per week to work on job tasks. (Kondo) If you’re a manager, are you above or below this amount of focused time?
1 Kondo, Marie and Scott Sonenshein. (2020). Joy at Work: Organizing your Professional Life. Little, Brown, Spark: New York, NY.
2 Newport, Cal. (2019). Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World. Portfolio/Penguin: New York, NY.
3 Stephanie Booth (Feb 6, 2019). How Digital Hoarding May Be Damaging Your Mental Health. Healthline. Retrieved from: https://www.healthline.com/health-news/are-you-a-digital-hoarder
- How do business documents get used? Download this eBook to find out!
- ImageSilo makes it easy to find and share documents, increasing efficiency across the entire organization. Find out how with this video!
- Digitech Systems delivers any document, anywhere, anytime.® Take a look at this infographic to see why this is crucial to your business.
- Are you in the cloud? We've collected 7 reasons why you should consider cloud services in your business.