Every business receives mail and email. Be it invoices, memos, images, documents, or work that needs to be reviewed. Whatever documents you receive, the digital mailroom represents an automated alternative to manually handling mail and email. Read on to learn more about the digital mailroom and how it can raise productivity, save money, and keep your information secure.
What is a digital mailroom?
Rather than manually receiving and distributing incoming mail or email, organizations use document scanning to digitize incoming paper-based mail and upload it (along with email) to a document management application to automate security, classification, and distribution.
This service is frequently outsourced to service bureaus who receive your mail, convert it to an easy-to-use electronic format, and load it to an Enterprise Content Management (ECM) application for your secure consumption and management.
Why do you need to automate mail handling?
Receiving mail might seem like a simple task, but if you take a step back and look at the time it takes to process mail, you might think twice about its effectiveness as a process in your business. Plus, data is only expected to grow. In fact, AIIM projects information coming into an organization will grow 4.5 times over the next two years.1 Imagine the amount of information you’re dealing with now, and multiply by 4.5… see the problem? You could be spending your entire day just processing mail and email!
Manually processing your mail has other drawbacks, including:
- Inaccurate information and misplaced files - Manual processes rely on human effort and are therefore subject to human error.
- Compromised and unsecure data – With information growing exponentially, it’s hard to secure your information when dealing with paper and uncontrollable amounts of email.
- Costly and time-consuming – Paper documents, like mail, add up over time and can be expensive to manage and store. The same applies to your email, which can bog down your desktop and network.
How can the digital mailroom help you?
Don’t worry, there’s a solution that can not only eliminate the pains of manually processing mail and email, but can completely revolutionize the way you manage your business information. With this solution, you can easily:
- Eliminate human error and rest easy knowing you have the most up-to-date and accurate information at your disposal.
- Secure your data with five levels of security, instead of relying on unsecure manual paper processes.
- Save money on document management, storage, and processing costs, giving you the time and money to grow your business.
How you might ask? By choosing software and services that deliver easy-to-use, efficient, and cost-effective access to any document, anywhere, anytime.® Let’s explore some of the technologies you’d need (and that service bureau’s use as well) to automate mail and email workflow:
Enterprise Content Management (ECM)
ECM provides businesses with the ability to capture, manage, store and securely access any information, including electronic files, paper documents, images, and email that delivers any document, anywhere, anytime on virtually any device. Basically, it’s where all your information lives, and it provides a fast and easy way to locate and control your business documents.
Scanning and Capture
Document scanning and capture is the process of physically scanning your paper documents and digitizing them into easy-to-use electronic files. Although scanning is the most common way documents are “captured” into an ECM, additional capabilities enable systems to automatically recognize and capture electronic files from network directories and email servers. Using scanning equipment to convert paper-based information into electronic files with metadata (such as index values) simplifies document security and retrieval.
Automate manual workflows by routing documents from step to step automatically, alerting users of pending work assignments, and tracking and reporting progress within the application. This means, simply by uploading a certain type of email or document (such as an invoice), the ECM application will recognize the document type and launch a workflow automatically, like sending an invoice to Accounts Payable personnel for review and approval.
How Can We Help?
Get started on intelligently managing your business information and give us a call! We’ll put you in touch with one of our Resellers who specializes in digital mailrooms; they’ll get you set up with a solution that matches your business’s unique needs and processes.
You can also find more information on digital mailrooms on our digital mailrooms page! On this page, you’ll find resources specifically tailored to this topic. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or aren’t sure where to go next on your road to automation!
- State of the IIM Industry 2020: Are You a Digital Transformation Leader or Follower? (AIIM Industry Watch) - Retrieved from: https://info.aiim.org/state-of-the-iim-industry-2020
- IDC Vendor Spotlight (2020): How a Digital or Hybrid Mailroom Strategy can Transform Your Organization – retrieved from: https://www.swisspostsolutions.com/en/market+research/sps_idc_marketresearch_digital-or-hybrid-mailroom.pdf
- McKinsey Global Institute. (2019). Twenty-five years of digitization: Ten insights into how to play it right. https://www.mckinsey.com/~/media/mckinsey/business%20functions/mckinsey
Visit the links below to learn more about cyber security.